Psychology of the Holidays: How Shopping Brings Us Together
In the Southern hemisphere, Christmas is the time of year where there are outdoor festivals with food and live music. This involves fresh air and trees for shade. It is at these festivals that a community comes together as one may spot a neighbor across the field. People are able to interact with others in their community. They also get to meet new people that they have never seen before. This seems more serene than the hectic mall shopping during the holiday sales. Higher quality retail environments rises as a sense of community emerges. Many have idealized their shopping experience to be an enjoyable time with a good atmosphere. This is what most malls seem to lack. Everyone is trying to buy their gifts and it seems to be very tense among the shoppers. Though malls are the perfect way to get last minute gifts, one cannot get the same experience as if they were to go to an outdoor Christmas festival.
Christmas shopping can be a very stressful time of the year for those seeking to present their coworkers or love ones with gifts. There comes a lot of thought and careful decision making, matching up the right gift for the right person. But because of the stress, more accidents occur along the street. People are rushed to get to places: to buy presents or to go home.
In the midst of all the madness, joy overwhelms them. They finally have a chance to spend time with their loved ones and connect with them. A sense of belonging and family begins to emerge. This brings a person happiness and bliss.
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/in-the-neighborhood/201211/how-shopping-brings-us-together
The outdoor festivals sound like a lot of fun! I wonder if there are festivals like those in the northern hemisphere.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I really like your reasons for choosing Christmas as your favorite holiday. I'm glad that families can find the time to spend together in the midst of stressful Christmas shopping and errands.
I totally agree that Christmas shopping is stressful! But once the family or friends sees the perfect gift and that smile comes on their face, it is totally worth it!
ReplyDeleteIt's true that Christmas can bring loved ones together. I should feel grateful that I see my relatives year-round, but it just isn't special when we get together for Christmas! I know their personalities, so I have a pretty clear idea of what they'll give. And at the end, I feel sorry for them because they have to spend money on me. And plus, I don't want to spend money on them. It was fun at first, but then now it seems like we just have to give, so we just buy whatever. We're obligated to "give", and where is the true meaning in that.
ReplyDeleteI want to go to an outdoor Christmas festival now!I feel like the society actually stops for this holiday, and it gives us a chance to think about our loved ones. I think that's why everyone loves this holiday the most. It's filled with joy, for the most part.
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with ktran on the outdoor Christmas festival. It's funny how chaos and joy mixes in with the holidays, but I guess the camaraderie is what truly gets us.
ReplyDeleteI never go Christmas shopping, but I hear about it all the time. People are always whining about not knowing what to get for so and so. Also, I never realized more accidents would occur on the streets!
ReplyDeleteI have never been to an outside christmas festival. But I do understand the rush that people go through to buy the perfect gift, because I do it myself. It is an amazing feeling though to see how much people appreciate the gift.
ReplyDeleteSouthern hemisphere Christmas! I didn't even think of that. It's like the holiday season and summer vacation combined.
ReplyDeleteActually, that's exactly what it is.